If you are into the technology world, you will surely know what is the dark web but today we will be explaining it to the general people only for their awareness and educational purpose.
The dark web is a hidden, underground universe where there are no rules and you might get access to anything: drugs, hacking services, exploits, stolen hardware, hacked eBay and PayPal accounts, one can even order a murder of a person. This all makes deep web attractive but also dangerous.
How to access the dark web?
We see normal domain name in our life that ends with .com, .com.np and so on. But things are little different in the dark web, here the domain name ends with .onion. So, to access such a domain we need a special browser that must be so secure & advanced. You can try searching such domain in Google Chrome, but you cant never find it.
Everyone may have a question,” Why onion? What is the reason that the domain name has onion?” Like the onion with its hidden layers, users here in the dark web can protect their identity and share information. Talking simply, the dark web is part of the internet that isn’t visible to search engines and requires the use of an unidentified or secret browser called Tor to be accessed.
So, The Tor Browser is a web browser that hides web traffic using the Tor network, making it easy to protect your identity online. Thus, there is no better way of accessing the dark web without the use of the Tor browser.
Why was the Dark Web created?
The dark web was actually created by the US government to allow spies to exchange information completely anonymously. US military researchers developed the technology, known as Tor (The Onion Router) in the mid-1990s and released it into the public domain for everyone to use.
The reason was so that they could stay anonymous – it would be harder to distinguish the government’s messages between spies if thousands of other people were using the same system for lots of different things. Tor now hosts roughly 30,000 hidden sites.
It’s called The Onion Router because it uses the technique of onion routing – making websites anonymous through layers of encryption. Most websites are also hosted on the .onion domain.
What can we find in the Dark Web?
Dark Web is deeper than we can imagine. These are the things you can find in the Dark Web:
- Credit Card Numbers
- Fake Passports
- Stolen Netflix Accounts
- Bitcoin Lottery Tickets
- Horrifying Silicon Masks
- Fake Coupons
- Fake College Degrees
- Hacked PayPal Accounts
These may be some of the normal things you may find in the dark web but there are some weirdest things you find on the dark web:
- Rocket Launchers
- Powerful Drugs
- Hacked Government Data
- Immortality Guides
- Plastic Explosives
- A Hitman
- Child Spirits
- Ricin ( one of the deadliest poison )
Why you should not surf the Dark Web? What Makes the Dark Web so Dangerous?
There are no rules in Dark Web. Anyone can do anything without fearing rules. There are many black hat hackers so you may be at risk with your data.
While most of the activity accessed through Tor is not illegal, the dark web does have many criminals using it for illegal purposes. Even if you don’t access the dark web to pursue anything illegal, you may run into criminals there and get caught up in something you never intended to be involved with.
Like hanging out in a mob restaurant, you may find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time and get caught in the crossfire. If authorities do end up catching cybercriminals in the act, you could end up drawn into the investigation if they can prove you had contact with them. Some authorities may even consider you guilty just for associating with cybercriminals on the dark web even if you haven’t done anything wrong yourself.
6 Dark Web Myths – Truth Behind
There are many myths about the Dark Web, So we are listing them out.
- Only Bad People Use the Dark Web: There are many uses for the dark web. While there are criminals, there are also privacy advocates, political evidence, and many other users.
- All Cybercrime Takes Place on the Dark Web: The dark web is a handy place for cybercriminals to gather and exchange information. There are underground hacking forums, darknet markets, and other such services. But the simple fact of the matter is that you are more likely to suffer cybercrime on the clear net rather than the dark web.
- The Dark Web Is Only for Tech Pros: Something I read frequently is, “How do I find the dark web?” The perception of the dark web is that it is hidden, secret, and locked away from everyone. Whereas the reality is that you can access the dark web using the Tor Browser, which anyone can download and start using. So, anyone can use it like others with a specialized browser.
- Accessing the Dark Web Is Illegal: The dark web itself is not illegal. , the dark web uses strong encryption to keep sites, services, and users secure. In some countries, using strong encryption is illegal.
Wrap up: Conclusion
The dark web is quite interesting both in terms of the content available there as well as from a technical point of view. Tor might not become your most used app but its evolution (and its alternatives) are an important milestone to bring a higher awareness of information security and to keep your private communications… well, private.
Finally, remember the dark web is fascinating, but a dangerous place—a walk in a bad neighborhood from the relative safety of your computer. If you want to take a look around, you’ll need to apply more than the usual safety measures.
Well, that’s it for now. Make sure you stay tuned as we’ll be publishing reviews and news of the technology world.