A curriculum vitae (CV) is a document that summarizes your education, work experience, and other qualifications for a job. In the USA and Canada CVs are popular as resume. On your CV, you might include your career history and education, your research and academic projects, your publications, and your professional references. You might also include coursework, fieldwork, and descriptions of dissertations. Additionally, you can list your relevant skills and attributes in a personal profile.
What is the difference between a CV and a resume?
There are many differences between a resume and a CV, the most notable being the length, purpose and contents of the document. It’s important to consider all of these factors when deciding which document to use, depending on your region and career path.
How long should a CV be?
In the United States, your CV can be as long as it needs to be in order to showcase your skills and experience. A CV for a research or academic position needs to be comprehensive, so you may need to use multiple pages to list all your achievements, publications, and professional experience. A candidate just starting out in their academic or graduate school career might only need 2-3 pages, while someone with more experience could easily have a double-digit length CV.
As the European CV is similar to a resume, it should ideally be one page long. Recruiters simply don’t have the time to read unnecessary information, and for most candidates, that’s exactly what the second page of a resume is. Unless you’re a senior-senior professional, chances are you can easily fit all relevant information on a single page.
Now, if you do have a very impressive career and you just can’t make your CV shorter, then it’s OK to keep your CV at two pages (maybe even three, in very rare circumstances).
How to write a better CV or Resume ?
Your CV is your key to getting that initial job you are looking for. It is the first point of contact between you and the recruiter. It should be easy to read and understand, so make sure to follow these tips for writing a better CV.
- Start with a name, address and contact information: Write your name, address, and contact information at the top of your CV. This will ensure that the employer can easily reach you if they need to. You can also include your LinkedIn profile to help them learn more about you.
- Presentation is the key factor: Your well-presented CV is a successful CV. For making a well-presented CV, you should check that the CV is printed on clean, crisp white paper, the layout should be clean and well structured. Your CV should never be folded or crumpled, so make sure to use an A4 envelope to post your applications.
- Understand Job description: If you’re looking to apply for a job, be sure to read the job description carefully first. The clues to see if you’re a good fit for the job are all in the job description itself. Create bullet points and notes highlighting everything you can satisfy and those you can’t.
- Use of active voice: If you want to make a great impression on potential employers, consider using powerful words like “earned,” “achieved,” “completed,” or “accomplished.” These words will leave a lasting impression on the recruiter’s mind. However, if your CV is too long, you may need to make your sentences shorter and your ideas more concise in order to fit everything on two pages of A4 size paper.
- Keep your CV update: Your CV should always be up-to-date, so be sure to review it and add any new skills or experience you may have. For instance, if you’ve just done some volunteer work or a new project, make sure to add that to your CV to enhance your profile.
Make CV Online with CV Builder
You can create an attention-grabbing and engaging professional story with an online resume maker that includes advanced creation tools. These tools can help you showcase your skills and experience in a way that will attract the attention of recruiters, hiring managers, or even CEOs. With so many free resume building options available today, there’s no excuse not to have a great CV ready to go.
Here are top 10 websites that helps you to make your CV online. Some websites provides paid service while some are free also. You can try out this also.